Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sewing Essential - Iron-Off Hot Iron Cleaner

 
I received this product from Dritz several months ago, but had just bought a new iron, so didn't need it. Well, this weekend while using some fusible fleece, my hot iron apparently came into contact with some of the adhesive. Not ideal.
 Of course, the way I discovered this was with a nice black streak on my son's shirt as I was trying to iron it. Again, not ideal. 

I couldn't get the sticky mess to rub off. Quickly I remembered that I had a tube of this iron cleaner and figured it was the perfect time to give it a try. Truth is, I hadn't read the directions before, so I was expecting it would be somewhat complicated and require some kind of internal cleaning that I would have to repeatedly rinse out, so I was pleasantly surprise at how easy it was to use. 
 Simply set your iron to the cotton setting. Once heated, get a clean towel and squirt a bit of the Iron-Off onto the towel. Iron back and forth over the cream until your iron is clean. For stubborn (or extra sticky) messes on your iron, you may want to repeat. I did. And just look at this towel!!!

EWWWWW!!!! Right!?!?! Where did all that come from anyway???
 Apparently there was a build up of more than I could see from using starch as well. Needless to say, I was very pleased with the result. Look at my iron now! 

Here's a side by side comparison that shows even better the great results. 
I only had to use a small about of the tube as well, so I am equipped whenever another cleaning is needed. This has been added to my handy box of "Sewing Essentials". 

You can check out more of my favorite "Sewing Essentials" on the tab at the top of the blog or simply by clicking HERE.  
Photobucket

5 comments:

Sarah @ Fabric Seeds said...

This is fantastic! I have to get some! I just got a new iron a few months ago too, because I couldn't get it clean. I followed someone's iron cleaning method, and was not even close to getting the same results, and ended up completely ruining the iron. Thanks for sharing your results and this incredible product!

Unknown said...

Oooo! I love that. My iron looks like I dipped it in tar. I was wondering about how to heck to clean it off. Thanks for the demo and info!

Kristy said...

@cadesignbum, my pleasure! Hope it's as positive of an experience for you and your iron! :)

Sooli said...

Good to know when a product works! Not sure if we can get it here in Australia but I'll keep my eyes open.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

What a difference for very little work, Kristy!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...