Monday, September 12, 2011

Layette - Gown Sample

So I got a couple of gowns made this weekend using the Bettsy Kingston Kimono pattern I shared earlier. I have to say, this pattern was more of a challenge than I expected. Especially piecing the pattern together! Woah! Not sure if I did something wrong or if the printer was possibly off a bit or what, but those pieces just didn't want to line up the way they were suppose to! (how timely a reminder of yesterday to Sew Anyway!) ;)

The end results however, were quite darling!

The first one ended up as a jacket as I mis-measured or misread the pattern pieces.  Still cute though!
Not sure what happened as I had to trim and adjust the finished pieces for the gown on the second attempt too. ??? So, if any of you sew this pattern and can offer me suggestions or insight on where I may have went wrong, I certainly welcome it!

Once you get your print out pattern pieces together, you only have 2 pattern pieces to cut making 3 to work with, so that's nice. (note though...when using large pattern pieces, you end up having to have a larger cut of fabric too.) I used cotton flannel for both, with a plush fold-over elastic trim. They should be soft and snuggly! For closures I chose snaps, they are quick and easy and well, ribbons/ties with babies kinda stress me. :) Besides, they're pretty, but they never stay closed.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED the French Seams!!!
I had never sewn with French Seams, and the finish is so nice! Especially if you don't use a serger.
If time were an issue though, you could still sew this pattern as normal and serge the seams.

 One thing to note on adding snaps...if you aren't going to be going through multiple layers like shown above with the fold-over edging and french seam, then you MUST reinforce the back of the snaps so they are not pulled through the fabric when unsnapping. I just used a little extra scrap of the same flannel fabric (shown below) and then trimmed around the snap once in place.

One thing I just couldn't get smooth though were the arms. The first time I thought it was because I didn't snip the seams. But I did snip the seams on the second and it still puckered a bit. The finished one at the end of the pattern looked like this too, so maybe it has to do with the French Seams in a curve? Again, welcome any input here.
 

Well, that's one for boy and one for girl done!
You can get the free PDF pattern here.

I think I might try a different pattern if I sew more gowns this month though. :)
A few other layette items on the menu first...

6 comments:

Brooke said...

Very Cute! I'll bet the wrinkles are from the french seams...I remember reading somewhere that they should only be used for straight seams.

Kristy said...

That makes perfect sense! Perhaps one of the reasons this ended up a free pattern. ;)

Jennie said...

Cute! Found you on the Monday Monkey Hop! Glad I did!

Jen at A Heart Full of Love said...

Too cute! You did a great job.

Thanks for visiting. I am now following you back. Have a good week.

Joni Nickrent said...

Very cute! Great job! POP ART MINIS

Pam said...

These are so cute. I love french seams. I use them inside bags that are not lined.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...