Saturday, July 13, 2013

FLUFF Project - Free Tutorial for Whaley & Starla stuffed friends!

 It's taken me longer than I had hoped, but nonetheless, I finally have the tutorial for my Whaley & Starla stuffies ready to share with you! They are chunky, squishy friends that I hope you enjoy making and the children that receive them love!

Start by printing and assembling your templates here: 

Fold your fabric so that you can easily cut 2 of your whale/star shape. 

For your whale, you will be adding a tummy shape from an alternate fabric. Before pinning in place, be sure the pieces will line up properly once sewn together as shown. 
 Pin & stitch the tummy panel in place. 

Poke a hole through the center of the eye marks on your templates to allow for you to easily transfer the marking to your fabric cut outs as shown. 

When using snaps as I did, you'll want to reinforce with a scrap of fabric. This also isn't a bad idea if you plan to use the safety eyes.

Place your whale/star body pieces right sides together, pin and stitch leaving the designated opening for turning. If you wish to add ribbon or ric rac accents, do so before stitching.

Carefully clip a "V" shape from the tail.

Clip curves around your stuffed toy. I like to use pinking shears for this step. 

Turn your toy right sides out, and using a turning tool or other pointed object, smooth the edges. 
If you lined up the belly and eyes as instructed above, they should nicely match now as shown below.

Stuff your friend and stitch the opening closed. I like to use a simple Ladder or Slip Stitch for this.
Textured fabrics, various trims, button eyes, embroidered features....
The possibilities are endless, so have fun sewing up a bunch of these!

I'm sharing this free tutorial in hopes that in addition to personal use, it will be used to create toys for donation to children in need, and happily welcome any you'd like to contribute to our FLUFF Project
Thanks for taking the time to GIVE BACK!

Photobucket

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Great tutorial! Whaley and Starla are adorable!!

Jodi - usairdoll said...

Thank you Kristy, great tutorial. I admired these guys last month when you showed them. I need to go shopping for "eyes" now, hehe.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Thanks for sharing the tutorial, Kristy. Such fun little softies. I've pinned...

Jenya @ While she was sleeping said...

OH how cute :) I am sure the kids will love them :)

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Hi Kristy, I've featured your fabulous tutorial today...

Scent of style said...

Wow! So cute!
Hugs!!!

CapitolaQuilter said...

super cute, thanks for sharing

Annie said...

They are SO cute!!!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Hi Kristy, I've featured Whaley and Starla in a roundup of scrap busting projects...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...