Friday, June 21, 2013

Pattern Review - The Buttons & Buckles Shortalls by Fishsticks Designs

 This adorable FAMILY project finish is for the youngest of our bunch. He's outgrowing all of his summer clothes already and it just got here! These were made using the Buttons & Buckles Overalls & Shortalls pattern by Fishsticks Designs. I started out with the intent of making just one of these little shortalls, but then the elephant print fabric arrived the day I was cutting and well.....I thought it was just perfect for this pattern!  So, our lucky Lil' Man has 2 super cute new outfits....with room to grow. :)
 The pattern goes together easily following the step-by-step instructions and photos included. Provides a clean and professional finish as well. I listed it as an "Intermediate" level pattern because the facing for the chest/shoulder area and the inseam snaps do require a little extra patience and garment assembly experience to get just right. 
I love the look of the little pockets and the opportunity to use coordinating fabrics. This sweet elephant and red swirl fabrics are part of the Bungle Jungle collection....a current favorite of mine! 

Being that the pattern is designed for little ones 4 and under, I LOVE that it includes a snap inseam. This of course makes for easier diaper changes....a MUST! I used plastic snaps for both the inseam and the shoulder straps. The pattern additionally offers instructions for button/button holes or buckle strap closures and snap tape for the inseam, so you can choose your preference and customize your sewing project. 
Find the pattern in the Fishsticks Designs pattern shop here

SUMMARY
Sewing Experience Level: Intermediate
Size Range: Newborn - 4T
Special Techniques: Adding facing, snaps/snap tape, buttons/button holes, buckles.
Pattern Format: Paper or PDF
Materials Used: Cotton woven prints (Hellicopter print is from the Scoot collection and the elephant print from Bungle Jungle), plastic snaps for closure (KAM snaps from Assunta Store)
Personal Notes: Absolutely adorable outfit! This pattern offers lots of variations and is practically wearable for little ones. This is an "all seasons" pattern too with the shorts/overalls options, and can be worn with or without a shirt. 

Photobucket

4 comments:

TammyW said...

These turned out so cute. I started a pair of the overalls for my nephew out of the turquoise elephants. I mucked up the legs because I was in a hurry and didn't read the instructions very well. Now they're in the WIP pile waiting for me to fix them. Seeing your finished elephants makes me want to get back to them.

Leigh said...

Those are utterly adorable!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

You always choose the BEST fabrics, Kristy!!! Two adorable little garments!!!

Bright Angel said...

I just LOVE these shortalls!! And the fabrics are to die for! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...