Monday, June 24, 2013

Pattern Review- Super Doll by Butterbeans & Chicpeas

 This was one SUPER fun FAMILY project!!!!

This is the incredibly sweet Super Doll from Butterbeans & Chicpeas. I first learned of this pattern from Dona over at Sewing Miles of Smiles. She has used it a lot for her donations to her Children's Hospital, and also sent a bundle of them for our April Project that were a big hit! So, when I contacted Bev at Butterbeans & Chicpeas and shared that our FLUFF Project would be an ongoing project at Hopeful Threads, to give back to children in foster care, she sent this sweet guy over for me to sew. Thanks again Bev! I love him and know the children who receive him will too. 

  
This easy-to-follow PDF pattern includes step-by-step photos along with written instructions for assembly, making it a snap to create. His face and hair are cut from felt for a quick and durable applique style face. Just gotta LOVE that crooked grin, and he OF COURSE has a cape too!
  You can play around with mixing and matching your fabrics so that each doll you create is truly unique. Favorite colors or characters are sure to make him a best friend for his little owner too. 

The only modification I made while sewing was the way I attached the legs. The instructions provide the most common way to do this, but after sewing the Ruby Lou doll, I now use the technique provided in that pattern when attaching legs on all my dolls. Much less fiddly. 

I used Safety Eyes on all of mine but one. The one on the left below shows the doll made using plastic KAM snaps for the eyes. I've been wanting to experiment with this for a while and though I do prefer the safety eyes, think it still turned out cute with the snaps. Alternately,  you cold use felt cut-outs or embroidery for the eyes, which would make him safe for all ages. 
 I made a few of these this round! :) One for my own SUPER fella, at least one will go in the box for the FLUFF Project, and one for donation to a special upcoming fundraising auction.

Super Doll flying his way into the heart of a very special child!

And if you aren't yet familiar with the FLUFF Project, be sure and take a minute to read more here. Thanks too, for checking it out!

SUMMARY
Sewing Experience Level: Beginner - Some stuffed toy sewing experience best.
Size Range: N/A
Special Techniques: Turning, stuffing and sewing small doll parts.
Pattern Format: PDF
Materials Used: Cotton woven prints and solids, safety eyes, plastic snaps, felt, polyester stuffing.
Personal Notes: Adorable and easy to follow pattern! This is a favorite stuffie of everyone that sees it and I expect to sew it again and again!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Bright Angel said...

What an adorable little bunch of supers you have there!! Btw, where do you get your safety eyes? I have mentioned them at JoAnns and a couple other places and no one seems to have a clue what they are! :)

Kellie Staton said...

They turned out great! I may have to consider this little guy when I get back into my sewing groove.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

I know a little guy who would just LOVE one of these... the cape being the important factor!!! They are just adorable, Kristy and I love that crooked smile.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

I've featured Super Doll today, Kristy...
http://www.threadingmyway.com/2013/06/threading-your-way-features_29.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...