Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Back-to-School CHALLENGE!

Everyone is beginning to get in the back-to-school mode, and if you haven't yet, you will be doing all that back-to-school shopping in the coming weeks.
I want to offer you a challenge while you are.

We have been told, that at least in our county, the back-to-school season is a busier time for foster care placements. As children come back to school from summer break, needs that may need to be addressed are often more visible. When children come into foster care, they often arrive with little to nothing of their own. It isn't uncommon for these children to have no more than a plastic grocery bag of belongings....and the bag itself the only "luggage". With that in mind, let's take the opportunity to make sure there are some donated gifts on hand to help soften this transition.

While you are school shopping for your own family, consider purchasing an extra backpack, pencil box or lunch bag for a child in foster care. Why not let your child choose something they like and create a gift especially for a child their age in foster care? If your resources allow, here are some additional ideas of items that you could add:

Pencils/Pens
Erasers
Pencil Sharpeners
 Crayons/Markers
Gluesticks
Kid Scissors
Ruler
Spiral Notebooks
Age appropriate book or magazine
Journal
Stickers
Toothbrush
Hand Sanitizer
Tissue packs
Individually Wrapped Snacks
New Clothing
Socks & Underwear

If you'd like to sew drawstring bags as your donation item or to hold any of the items listed above, here are some links to some great options and FREE tutorials to do so...


I have used the Sew Scrumptious tutorial to make these...
 
 

Don't feel overwhelmed to "do it all". 
PICK ONE THING.
One thing you give will be one thing they need and didn't have.
If you come across pencils at a great price and can afford to, take them 20 packs of pencils.
If you can fill ONE pencil box with basic school supplies, that's great too!
When each of us does what we can, it's always enough.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." ~Theodore Roosevelt

12 comments:

Jennifer Blye said...

This is great!

JLVerde said...

Love those tutorial links. I love making stuff and this is a great idea. Now I'm off to see what charities would want handmade bags and other items.

make.share.give said...

Love your Hope drawstring bags! With school supplies so cheapy right now, it's a great time to grab a few extras. I can't pass by 10 cent notebooks :)

Melissa said...

Out of curiosity - where should we look to donate these - directly to schools or somewhere else?

Kristy said...

Your county should have a local DCS (Department of Children's Services) or DHS (Department of Human Services) that serves foster children and would be able to accept any donations. You could also call the juvenile court in your area to find out more.

Michelle said...

Super idea! Please post this to my back to school linky party as well! :)

Blissful & Domestic said...

This is fantastic! I would love for you to link this up to me Feature Friday Linky Party.

Danielle @ Blissful and Domestic
www.blissfulanddomestic.com

Unknown said...

This is such a cute project! I'm a new follower from a blog hop! Feel free to stop by and follow back www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I think this is a great idea, I really do - HOWEVER... after adopting four of my precious children out of foster care, I would like to give just a few suggestions. My heart has many times been crushed, I've cried, and carried a heavy, heavy burden when it came to meeting children in need of a family (met either through foster care or mission trips both in and out of the US.) I used to believe that my money, gifts, and efforts in providing gifts, would indeed reach the children my gifts were intended for. I've found, through the years, that not all the time do the gifts land in the arms of the children who are in need of them. I'd suggest that contact with either the foster family themselves or else the case worker DIRECTLY in contact with the children, is made - and that the gifts are hand given to these people. Even though others have warned me, I still had to find out for myself (and was left hurt and furious) that indeed, the adults temporarily caring for the children took and used the gifts for their own advantage (believe me, even a small soft bag can be taken!). When in doubt, I still say GIVE!!! PLEASE don't mistake this as a note to discourage you from making something to give! I'm not saying, "guard your heart" for that is not what Scripture tells us - contrary, GIVE - but do your best to be informed and try to get those loving gifts to the hands your heart planned them to fall into! And on behalf of the six of our family members we've added to our "bio" family..... THANK-YOU for having a heart that desires to GIVE! May God bless and multiply it! Tricia

Kristy said...

Hi Tricia! There wasn't an email address for me to reply to you, so I will respond here. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns. Our family too has been blessed by adoption through foster care, such a special thing!

Other previous posts of the month like this one, http://hopefulthreads.blogspot.com/2012/08/give-hope-foster-care-children.html outline our hope for the outreach efforts this month. We would love to see relationships built within communities allowing for ongoing support even greater than and in addition to tangible donations. Looking for opportunities where we are to each do our part. I've already been encouraged by the stories that have been shared of families doing just that! :)

Sew Scrumptious said...

I am so pleased that you used my tutorial and it all made sense! Your bags are absolutely gorgeous! That has really made my day!! Thanks for letting me know. Love the fabrics you have used. x

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Kristy, these bags are lovely. You have great taste in fabric!!! I especially like the jigsaw one and the 'hope' one. Thank so much for linking all your projects up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...