Thursday, July 28, 2011

Unexpected Family Treasures

My aunt recently visited and brought along some very special items from my grandmother's house. Amongst the envelopes of family photos and mementos, there were also a few treasures I thought I'd share with you all, knowing you would appreciate them the way I do.

This quilt top was probably the most amazing. 

This was started by my great grandmother. It's completely hand made from various scraps of fabric. I'm not sure if you can see the stitches, but all of the pieces have been hand sewn together....very impressive to me! 

My aunt says it's now up to me to finish it. I certainly want to preserve this work, but it will not be a project I attempt until after a bit of quilting practice myself!

She also brought 2 older model sewing machines for my girls so they could each have their own machines to learn on. They were of course thrilled!

And, this handy cutting mat with various piece guides on it.
It's very special to have these items that belonged to my grandmother. It will be a nice way to remember her while doing something I love to do.

4 comments:

Anne said...

Wow! Such special gifts. Love the quilt top. It is a family heirloom, for sure.

Susanne said...

These are such precious things! Great minds must think alike because I posted about a family quilt from my aunt this morning, too. It's wonderful thinking about all the hard work and love that went into these projects. So thankful that they were kept safely and passed down.

Sarah @ Fabric Seeds said...

that quilt truly is amazing. How wonderful to have such great items passed down.

Green Bag Lady Teresa said...

I'm so jealous of that quilt top!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...