Monday, July 11, 2011

Pattern Review - Tic-Tac-Toe Floor Game

Let me just start by saying INSTANT FUN!!!!
(well, that is once you get it sewn!) ;)
I mentioned before, that I was the lucky duck who won this pattern along with a bundle of fabric during the Sew,Mama,Sew madness. 
The pattern was still being printed, so it took a little time to get here, and well, life being busy as it is, it took a little longer for me to get it sewn. Much to the pleasure of my kiddos, it is now finished, and might I add, being thoroughly enjoyed!
 The pattern is written with a quilting perspective, but never fear you non-quilting sewists....I've yet to dive into my first quilt and had no problems at all! Actually, it may have given me just enough of a taste for quilting that dare I say it, I may need more! Not to mention it adds a coziness to this sweet game that you couldn't get any other way.
The play mat is triple layered and quilted together when the ribbon grid is sewn in place. It suggests using a walking foot, something I don't have yet, but if you do I certainly recommend it. It will prevent the fabric from bunching. I used a stretch stitch and this helped to at least minimize it.
For the binding I used a simple, plush fold-over elastic which worked well and sped up this part of the project just a bit. Since I used a print fabric on the top of the mat rather than solid, this worked well too. Otherwise, a nice coordinating print fabric binding would have been the way to go.

I love these sweet "X" & "O" pillows too! And it's a game I don't have to worry about the baby trying to eat any of the parts of...well, at least not choke on them! ;) The pattern called for ric rac trim around the pillow edges, which I think would've been darling, but I didn't have enough on hand and wasn't about to delay the project any longer! (a.k.a. the children wouldn't allow it! lol!)

The closer this came to completion the more excited I got to see it done!
I did add ribbon to the back side when binding so that we could roll it and tie it for storage. All packed and ready for Grammie's house, a picnic or the perfect rainy day activity!
 The kids could hardly wait for me to get finished with the photos and they were off and running with it! I LOVE IT when they LOVE something I've made!
***ONE WARNING*** May cause random pillow fights! :)

The Tic-Tac-Toe Floor Game pattern is the creation of Tina Michalik of Little Blue Cottage. If you're interested in the pattern, you can check it out here. Your kids/grandkids will thank you! :)

A definite Family Sewing success!



Pattern: Tic Tac Toe Floor Game by Tina Michalik
Fabric: Floral prints part of the Treasures and Tidbits collection by Robert Kaufman. Orange/white dot by Timeless Treasures. I used felt for the "X" & "O" shapes.

11 comments:

Suz said...

So cute!!

Susanne said...

So cute, and I love your color choice. Orange is a favorite in our house. The x/o pillows are nice and chubby for little hands.

Kristy said...

Thanks Ladies! It was one of the most fun things I've made in awhile! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! It's thrilling for me to see this. You did a great job here and I love your color choices and using felt for the x's and o's is a great idea! I hope you have many hours of fun with this. Thank you so much for this review!

Jeanine The Crafting Fiend said...

love this! cute idea I'll check out the pattern

Unknown said...

That is such a clever idea!! I need to check out this pattern because tic tac toe is one of our favorite games to play on rainy days!

Chef in Training said...

I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

this is darling! THanks for linkin to tell me tuesday:)
xoxo
ash

Ruth said...

What a great idea! I love it!

heather said...

what an adorable version you made! great idea, too! visiting from the southern institute :)

Six Sisters said...

That is so cute!!! I am adding this to the list of things to make. We would love for you to come share this at our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday" link party! http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/strut-your-stuff-saturday-week-2.html

Love,
The Sisters @ sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...