Monday, April 2, 2012

April 2012 - Monthly Project Announcement!

April 2012 Monthly Project Announcement!!! 

I'm so incredibly excited about this month's project! I've been working on the details for a while now!
Together, I hope to make a significant impact on a significant need.....are you ready??? I sure hope so! This is a project that is going to have to be a team effort for sure. And I'm super excited to share that I already have some amazing supporters on board to encourage our success....Lily Bird Studio, Sis Boom, Fat Quarter Shop.....yay!!!! It's gonna be F.U.N.!!!!!
Ok...ok....rewinding just a bit here....

For the April 2012 Monthly Project, we will be making dresses in support of Dress A Girl Around the World! While normally I encourage that you look within your own communities and connections to find someone who can use your sewn items, this time I want to ask you to be a part of a collaborative effort to make a BIG IMPACT for Dress A Girl! 

Let's sew 100 Dresses together!

That's right! I know we can do it! 
I will personally commit to sewing at least 1 dress a week for the month of April to be donated to Dress A Girl, will you join me?

There will be LOTS of "girly" giveaways throughout the month to inspire your creativity and generosity as well! I have created a Flickr group just for the occasion and invite you to add pictures of your dresses for donation throughout the month.....this might just tie into some of the lovely giveaways for the month....hint hint! ;) When you add your pictures to the group pool (or email them to me to add), please include these 2 things...

1. Your Name
2. Which Dress A Girl Representative you will be sending your dress(es) to.

There is a list of representatives all over the world on the Dress A Girl website, just hover over the "Who We Are" tab to find the one nearest you. You can support Dress A Girl wherever you are in the world!

If you aren't familiar with Dress A Girl, let me share a bit. Dress A Girl is an extension of the outreach of Hope 4 Kids International.
This is a 501c3, so all of your donations are tax deductible.
 The dream and challenge of Dress A Girl is to "Imagine a World where every little girl owned at least one dress". This organization has put their dream into action by delivering more than 60,000 dresses to little girls all over the world so far! Isn't that exciting!?!?!? Their website offers patterns and sewing instructions to help you with your contribution too. Plus, I will sharing links to free dress patterns/tutorials that you can use as well. It's going to be a great month!

Ready to get started???
Grab the "Dress A Girl" button in the sidebar, add it to your own blog or website, invite your friends to join us and let's get to sewing! I can't wait to see what you all come up with, I know it's going to be wonderful! If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to email me, I'm very happy to help! 
Let's help DRESS some little girls around the world this month!

25 comments:

just jayma said...

I want to help! Do the dresses have to be pillow case dresses? Or can we sew other types of dresses?

Christie said...

I'm very excited about this one, I recently started following "Dress A Girl - Sydney" in the hopes of joining in, and you've just given me that little extra "push" I needed! Thanks Kristy!! This sounds like a lot of fun! One a week? Yep I think I can match that too!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Count me in, Kristy!!! I'll have fun sewing little dresses. Your button is up on my blog.

Shasta said...

Izzy & Ivy is in! Are they pillowcase dresses? We made some dresses where we attached skirts to store bought t's. Very cute, modest and washes up well. We've found that many times these little dresses are washed across literally rocks, so they need to be durable.

Jenny Hall / Seamingly Smitten said...

I'm in! Seamingly Smitten will sew one a week, too! I was just on their site and it's so inspiring to see all that is going on that is "good" in the world! Thanks, Kristy, for opening my eyes to Dress A Girl Organization. What a wonderful mission!
Jenny

Jennifer Blye said...

I will be sewing a dress!

Creatively Content said...

I am a follower of Threading My Way. I am excited to join this! This will also be a great way to include my kids. Thank you for the opportunity. Great idea.

One Lucky Mama said...

I'm in! I'll add one dress a week as well. I am so fortunate to have more than I need for my little girl. I've wanted to donate to Dress a Girl for a while - but this is the little push I need to get moving.

Kate Sparkles said...

I'm in.. I'm really behind with my sewing at the moment but will try to get two dresses completed for you..

Erin said...

I haven't heard of this before! What a lovely project :)

I've been looking all over the website & I can't find information for reps in Australia (in Sydney)?

Also, do you know what is meant on the home page about attaching a label to the front of the dress to protect from "predators"? Do we attach the label? A paper label won't be very durable - so am I misunderstanding what is meant here?

Kristy said...

I've replied to all comments with email addresses this morning. If you haven't heard from me and have further questions, please email me! :) hopefulthreads at yahoo dot com

Suzanne said...

Thanks sew much for doing this Kristy!! You all are making many little girls very happy!! I am the Washington State Rep and people can get more info with links to the patterns at my blog http://sewdelightful.blogspot.com

Sew Scrumptious said...

Hello! What a lovely idea. I'm the UK Rep so if anyone in the UK/Ireland or Europe wants to send dresses to me that would be great. My blog is http://sewscrumptious.blogspot.co.uk and there is a Pillowcase dress info page. Erin - There is def an Australian Rep. She has a facebook page which is http://www.facebook.com/dressagirl.sydneyaustralia

Denise at HoNeYcHiLd'S Custom Creations said...

Count on Honeychild's Custom Creations for at least 1 dress per week in April! This is a wonderful cause.

fenna said...

hi! Is there a rep for canada, do you know?

Poppy (xperimentl) said...

I've recently started to make dresses for Dress A Girl, but haven't sent any yet. I'm excited to participate in this April Sew Along!

Kristy said...

Super excited to have all your participation!

Checking on the Canadian rep....will post when I know! Thanks!

Dawn said...

I'm in and I'm spreading the word on FB to see who else wants to help. I love the idea!!!

Dawn said...

Oh and I just posted it on the home-school forum I'm on too, so I'm sure there will be many more dresses to come. I may not be able to sew 100 dresses myself but I know how to spread the word to close to a thousand. :D

Carol said...

I'm excited about this! I'm the Dress a Girl rep in Tucson and will get your dresses to the hope 4 women headquarters in Tempe for distribution! You can contact me at dressagirltucson@gmail.com. Carol

Jill D said...

count me in for at least 4 dresses. If time premits, I will make more.

Kristy said...

Delighted to have each of you and your participation in this month's project!

Jill D said...

Finished my 4 dresses. Now I'm going for 8;)

Kristy said...

Woo hoo!!! Me too Jill! :)

Bethany @ Our 4 Sons Plus 1...Super Cute Girly Girl said...

Wow, I just found this, and I am IN! I'll look around for more info, but thought I'd let you know you'll have another dress to add to the total. This is awesome! Have a super day! Bethany

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...