Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sewing Essential - Pinking Shears

 A Sewing Essential that I regularly use is my Pinking Shears. 
I originally thought these sturdy trimmers were best for keeping your fabric from fraying when cut. And while certainly good for that, I have found that I use them far more for trimming curved seams. 

The zig-zag teeth create the perfect jagged seam around curves and corners in your sewing, keeping you from having to cut all those tiny little triangles. I shared "Pinking" as a simple sewing tip here because of this.
I love this handy tool especially for this and have been reminded with the sewing projects we've done around here the past couple of months just how essential they are!

Oh...and let me make a little note here....quality does matter in regards to Pinking Shears. I first tried to buy a less expensive pair which just ended up frustrating me when I tried to use them. These are heavy, and sometimes cumbersome and tiresome to use for long periods, but boy to they do the job well!

Pinking Shears....a definite Sewing Essential!
For other items I consider essential in my sewing room, check out the Sewing Essentials page at the top of the blog. 
Photobucket

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I don't have pinking shears but I do have a pinking rotary cutter - which I do find quite useful!

Heidi said...

Kristy,
What kind of pinking shears do you have? I don't have any yet.

Jodi - usairdoll said...

I have a pair and you are right, not real comfortable to use for long stretches. I might try Melissa's way and get a rotary pinking blade. Really appreciate your Sewing Essentials list. Thanks!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

A VERY handy sewing tool to have. I had to toss out my original pinking shears as the paint kept peeling off the handles, but have invested in a good pair which will hopefully last a lifetime.

Kathy said...

I agree, the better quality scissors are so worth the money. I don't have a good pair of pinking shears, yet, but I am working towards it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...