Friday, July 13, 2012

Summer Salad Recipe - A family favorite!

Yum! I love all the fresh summer salads!
This is another of our family favorites that I can't remember who first made it for us. Maybe my aunt??? Either way, it's one we really enjoy, so I thought I'd share with you all. 

 The "secret" ingredient in this salad is the Jiffy Cornbread. It's a sweet cornbread that we don't normally eat, but it really makes this salad, so make sure you find Jiffy. :)
 While your cornbread muffins are baking, prepare your veggies.
 You will mix together:
1 diced cucumber
3-4 chopped green onions
1 chopped tomato
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1 can corn (drained) *Note- fresh corn cut from the cob would be great too!
1 can pinto beans (rinsed & drained) You can also use Garbanzo Beans or any other firm bean you like. 
This mix is so fresh and colorful! It's my favorite part of making this recipe. 

Next up is the dressing.
 Once your cornbread cools, you'll want to crumble it.
 Now, you will alternately layer the veggies, dressing and cornbread in your bowl or casserole dish. Top with shredded cheese and you are ready to eat!

We think it pairs deliciously with our favorite Sweet & Sour Meatballs!
I found the recipe for these yummy meatballs last year at the blog Me & My Boys and I highly recommend it! You can find it here. They're the only meatballs we make now! Thanks for sharing Ashley! :)

So, there's our suggestion for a super yummy summer meal!
Enjoy!
Kristy

2 comments:

Ashley said...

you are so so sweet!! im so glad you like the recipe:)

Melissa said...

I would never have thought of corn bread in a salad but it sound so yummy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...