Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Child Sized Reusable Shopping Bags...My VERY first tutorial! :)

This was the very first tutorial I ever wrote and shared in blogland! I shared it on a personal blog before I had started Hopeful Threads. It's super cute and I thought some of you might enjoy it, so, today I'm sharing it here!

Child Sized Reusable Shopping Bags Tutorial
I wanted to make some child-sized reusable shopping bags for the kids to use when they play store. I couldn't find a child-sized pattern anywhere! However, I did find this great tutorial for making regular sized ones, so using this full size bag tutorial as inspiration, I came up with one of my own for the kiddos. Here it is! :)

Make your pattern template. I traced this on cardboard from the recycle bin. 10 1/4" wide, the handles are approx. 5" long and 2" wide. You can use any round edge to help make the curve at the top of the bag.


Select the fabrics for both the outside and lining of your bags. We found this adorable grocery print for a ridiculous deal at a moving sale and bought all they had! Paired it with a simple red with white pin dot and just love it!
Cut 2 of each fabric.
Sew the outer fabric pieces right sides together along the sides only.
Repeat for lining fabric pieces.
You can finish the seam with a zig zag stitch or serger if you have one, like this.

Whether serged or not, press seams to one side, not open.
Turn outer fabric right side out and place inside the lining fabric that is still inside out.

Pin the outer fabric and lining together, beginning at side seams. Position the seams on opposite sides so there will be less bulk when stitching, like this.

Continue pinning all the way around top of bag being careful to match up curves smoothly.

Sew the top of the bag, leaving the top of the handles open.

Trim the seam allowance and carefully clip (or pink!) the rounded curves.

Turn the bag right side out and press neatly, lining up the seams of the outer fabric and lining.
Topstitch around the top of the bag continuing to leave the top of the handles open. Topstitching will give your bag a finished look as well as keep the outer fabric and lining in position.

**If you don't want gussets on your bag, skip this next step.**
To form gussets at the bottom of your bag, turn your bag inside out and fold the sides in toward the center about 1-1 1/2" and pin in place at the bottom.

Whether making gussets or not, stitch completely across the bottom of the bag.
Serge or finish with a zig zag stitch the bottom of the bag.

Keeping the bag inside out, sew the tops of the handles together. Serge or finish the seams with a zig zag stitch. (Being that the play food your children will be carrying probably won't be as heavy as what you might get at the store, extra stitching strength here isn't as necessary as in the original tutorial.)
To finish your handles and hide the raw seam at the top of them, turn your bag right side out and stitch just under the seam or serge. It will look like this when done.

Now, just fill this adorable bag with all your lil' ones shopping goodies and let their imagination take over!

And since I was already at it, I had to make myself some as well, you know, since I just love this fabric and never seem to have enough bags when we go shopping anyway! ;)

I did make one addition to the pattern tutorial linked at the top...I added a pocket. Mainly because I really like to make use of ALL of my fabric, and the cut-out at the top of the bag comes out in the perfect shape of a pocket! How handy to hold your keys or coupons or receipts right???

Here is the pocket shaped cut out. You should have 4 of them laying on your cutting table right now!

Iron the edge of the pocket, folding the top hem over twice so there is no raw edge.

Sew the top hem.

Pin the pocket to either layer of your bag depending on whether you want the pocket on the inside or out. You have plenty to do both if you don't want to choose! Stitch pocket in place on one layer of your bag. Carry on with bag making from the side sewing step or Step 2 from mentioned tutorial link above.


Enjoy sewing and proudly using your bags...I know your kiddos will, mine couldn't wait for me to get theirs done! :) 

Happy Sewing!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

My goodness what a great idea! I'm going to make Bella some of these for sure!

Melissa said...

Great tutorial! I am sure that Anne would love one of these :) Thanks for sharing!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

They look fabulous! Perfect fabric for little kids' shopping bags.

Unknown said...

These are adorable! I need all the help I can get when it comes to sewing {properly} So glad to have found your site!

ChrisW Designs said...

These are GREAT and you did well for your first tutorial!
Christine
- ChrisW Designs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...