Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Sewing Essential - Turning Tools!

One tool I would most definitely consider a "sewing essential" is a turning tool.....especially when sewing plushies and soft toys with small parts!
I've always used a pointed turner like this in my garment sewing.
You can use either end depending on the project you are working on. 

However.....I've found this little gem is quite handy for small curved seams, specifically when making plush friends.
 This is the Bodkin. And that little ball point is what sets it apart.

 The ball point smooths rounded curves beautifully and doesn't poke through the seams like pointed turners can. I must admit, I love it! And it's one of those tools that only cost a couple of bucks, so well worth it. Only down fall.....it's a small gadget and one I know that in spite of my determination right now, will get lost amongst my creative chaos at some point. I think I need a longer one anyway, that way I'll have a back up right? ;)

The other end looks like this. And while I haven't used it yet, I hear it is quite handy too for threading things like ribbon and elastic through casing. I guess we'll see!

Other items I've used or heard useful for turning include, wooden dowels, a safety pin pulled through with a crochet hook, a straw and a chopstick and hemostats. If you have a suggestion to help with turning small sewn pieces, please share in the comments below! You know....in case my Bodkin goes missing....

 Either way, and with whatever tool or object of your liking, turning tools are most definitely a sewing essential! To see other gadgets I can't live without in my sewing space, you can search the words "sewing essentials" in the tab on the right.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I saw these when I was at JoAnn's yesterday - definitely would come in handy...I have a hemostat that I use for turning when I make tubes and what not, seems to work fairly well.

Needled Mom said...

Seems like we are always searching for our tools!!! I tend to grab a #11 knitting needle fo my turns.

Christie said...

Haha well you know I can relate to this after my doll making project yesterday! I use an old pointed turner that belonged to my Nana, but your bodkin looks perfect. I do have a tip for not losing it, I keep a pen jar on my sewing desk that holds all my scissors and other tools (even the odd pen!)

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Like Christie, I have a pen jar (actually it's a ceramic milk jug) to hold tools such as this. I have a bodkin that I bought for threading ribbon etc, but I haven't used it as I always go back to the good old safety pin. Now I know what the rounded end is for, I WILL be using it.

Sew It Sherry said...

I use to use a knitting needle to press out my seams but this pushed a hole through my fabric way too often. I found an awesome pair of chopsticks on the cheap trolley at Woolworths for 59cents. They have a pointed end as thick as a pen lid and are perfect for the job :)

Kristy said...

Those wound perfect Sherry! And I love finding deals like that too! :)

Kristy said...

*sound* :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...