Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pattern Review - Mae by Bit Of Whimsy Dolls

This sweet doll pattern has become my go to doll for auction submissions! She always gets lots of attention and has raised some of the greatest, single-item amounts of my donations. I of course love that, since the purpose of supporting fundraisers is to help raise money! :)

Let me introduce you to the Mae pattern by Bit Of Whimsy Dolls.
I've shared the Mae dolls here before. You might remember the ABC Sister Dolls we made this past summer.
They are still very much loved by my girls!
We've also shared about other Bit Of Whimsy patterns including the Squirrel and Koala, and have purchased others that we've yet to make. Soon we hope! We love the sweet character and well, "bit of whimsy" that each design has. The patterns all provide easy to follow, step-by-step photos and instructions for the entire sewing process. My one suggestion when working with these patterns is to add a little extra seam allowance to the pattern pieces, particularly if you aren't used to sewing and turning small doll parts. The patterns suggest that the seam allowance is incorporated into the pattern pieces, but we've found the little extra to make a significant difference.
This extra bit of fabric is an easy add on and has provided a more positive sewing experience for me & my girls. :) Before adding this, there were a few tears of frustration and disappointment shed, and that's not how I like to spend my sewing time with my girls! ;)

We've gotten a great response from every one of the dolls we've made!
The finished doll is about 14" from head to toe and offers a removable skirt. You can purchase additional clothing patterns for them too. Their faces have been hand embroidered. The hair is made from felt and I added little ribbon ties to their ponytails. The clothing can all be made using scraps from other projects....gotta love that!

These little sweeties will be a part of the auction submissions I'm contributing to Love Without Boundaries for the 2012 art auction. If you'd like to find out how you can contribute to the art auction, more information can be found here.

If you'd like to try out a Bit Of Whimsy Dolls pattern, she offers several free plushie patterns here.
Happy Sewing!


Pattern: Mae by Bit of Whimsy Dolls
Fabric: Skin/Kona cottons, Hair/felt, Clothing/Various scraps from other projects

4 comments:

Shasta said...

I have a quilt for that auction, maybe I'll make up the boy doll she has!

McKenna C. said...

Great read! So you mail your items to Love Without Boundaries, and they sell them in an auction to raise money for their group? Did I get that right?

~McKenna

Christie said...

Your Mae dolls are just gorgeous! Seeing yours, I just couldn't resist and have just purchased the pattern for myself! I can imagine these being a real winner in charity auctions, like you said!
I hope you have a lovely week,
Cheers,
Christie

Terriea Kwong said...

They're so sweet and unique.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...