Saturday, March 24, 2012

Quick and Easy Gathering!

I have used this gathering technique from The Family Homestead almost exclusively since coming across it on the beloved Pinterest. It really does simplify the struggle that gathering ruffles can sometimes create. By providing a sturdy pull thread, the gathers come together quickly without breaking threads. Love it! (breaking threads makes for a very cranky mama!)

Here's an example of how I've used this technique recently.
I use yarn instead of the crochet thread like the original tutorial suggests. I have yarn on hand, it's very inexpensive and I've found it slides out of the stitches easier if your zig zag accidentally catches it, where the cotton threads want to become part of your ruffle. :) So, line up your yarn in the center of your presser foot and sew the yarn to the top of the piece of fabric you wish to gather using a zig zag stitch.
Then you simply gather as normal. However, The Family Homestead link above has some great tips on gathering as you pin so the ruffle fits the piece it's being attached to as you go. GREAT IDEA! I'm always having to let my gathers in and out! :) You'll want to check it out! Don't you just love learning new techniques that make your sewing experience even more fun!?
Ok, now you are ready to sew the ruffle to the fabric it is pinned to. The yarn can serve as the perfect stitch guide as you sew too. Just line the edge of your pressure foot up with the yarn and sew.
Once the pieces are attached, you can then pull the yarn out. If it won't come out all at once, picking it in a few different spots throughout the stitching will do the trick. No worries if you pick the zig zag stitching either as it has already done it's job!
All that's left is to turn, top-stitch and then admire your finished ruffly gathered goodness!
 I hope this helps others the way it has me!
Happy fluffy sewing fun!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's how I do it too, but I use red perle cotton. It shows against the fabric so I can make sure not to stitch into it!

Christie said...

Great idea Kristy, thanks so much for sharing it. This will be a lifesaver on "those" fabrics that just don't like being gathered! Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Thanks for the little tutorial! I've also thought about getting that special foot for my machine, but this looks like it would work too!

Melissa said...

That's how I gather too!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

I have never seen gathering done this way, Kristy, but have seen a tutorial on doing shirring like this. It's always good to find new ways of doing things.

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

This is such a great tip! It does the worst to my patience if the thread breaks while gathering, so I have to try this! Liz

Kristy said...

I agree Liz! Hope this is helpful! :)

Linda said...

I have been using this method of gathering since the 1960's when I made my square dance dresses. It is one of the best sewing hints ever. If you have a small area to gather you can pull up the bobbin thread and zigzag sew over it too. Not recommended for long sewin (1 plus yards) as thread can break if poulled too long.

Kristy said...

I've seen the zig zag trick but not yet tried it, thanks for the advice about length!

ChrisW Designs said...

I have seen a tutorial somewhere where they used fishing line BUT the idea of the wool sounds like a really good one....not all of us go fishing! LOL Thanks for sharing Kristy!
Christine
- ChrisW Designs

Homemaker said...

I use dental floss. It slides really easily and doesn't break! The waxed kind even "holds" the gathers in place a bit while you stitch, which I like.

Kristy said...

Great idea! I'll have to try that! :) Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...