Thursday, March 1, 2012

Monthly Project Announcement - March 2012

There are few things that bring such comfort and companionship to a child as a plush toy. 
My children all love their stuffed toys!
And when those soft friends have been especially handmade just for them....even better!

For March's Monthly Project, we will be making a collection of plushies, softies, stuffed toys for the children in our community. We have personal connections to both the foster care system and the Children's Hospital in our area, so depending on how many are made, one or both is where we intend to donate them. We encourage you to look within your own community for an opportunity to give in this way, I'm sure there are many! However, if you don't have a specific outreach to contribute to, we will share a few this month and of course welcome yours to join ours to be given to one of the 2 options mentioned above. 

To highlight the 2 we've chosen.....
Children brought into the US foster care system often come with very little, if anything, of their own. The transition into foster care is often very traumatic and the adjustment period can be lengthy. Something as simple as a plush toy to call THEIR OWN is meaningful in a far greater way than I can adequately express. This small token can provide comfort and security when nothing else can. It matters. It matters in a big, big way!

Children spending time in the hospital are also facing uncertainty and possibly even pain and fear. The comfort a soft friend, who can go with them wherever they go, is again immeasurable. As a mama of 5 littles, I have had my own experiences with our local Children's Hospital. I can't say enough good about the care that we've received! One thing that stood out most from one of our visits....a stuffed friend given to my, at the time, very sick, little boy by the staff. Not only did it cheer him, it touched his weary and worried mama to have someone show tangible, playful care for him this way. It matters. It matters in a big, big way.

Throughout the month I will share a variety of links to free plush toy patterns and tutorials. I will also share pattern reviews for some softies I have made and love! I hope you will join us!

4 comments:

McKenna C. said...

Great post! I hope I can figure out the patterns and make a few softies.....I love sewing for Children!

~McKenna

Jeanine The Crafting Fiend said...

sounds great! I have some patterns for rag dolls on my blog if you are interested.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

You are amazing, Kristy!!! I may sit this month out... see how I go time wise. Perhaps if I get off the computer...

Sewing for Utange said...

Great idea to have a monthly focus. Thanks for dropping by my blog!
Caroline

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...